We’ve all heard the expression, You can’t get it done, until you start! However, perhaps, nowhere is this any more true, than when it comes to the basic necessities of effective leadership! In my four decades of identifying, qualifying, training, developing and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or potential leaders, I have come to believe, strongly, perhaps the greatest enemy of anyone’s ability to serve as a quality leader, is procrastinating, either consciously, or sub – consciously, because of either lack of preparation, inability to make well – considered decisions, fear of losing (or, maybe, what happens if they win?), unwillingness to expand one’s personal comfort zone, etc. The actual reason, individuals avoid beginning might vary, but, in any case, every true leader must START, or he’ll never succeed, and/ or achieve! This article will, therefore, briefly examine this issue, using the mnemonic approach.
1. Strengths; system: How can you consider your best course of action, before you delve deeply, and discover, both the strengths and weaknesses, both of you, personally, as well as your organization? The goal/ purpose of doing so, is to build – upon those strengths, and use them to their best avail, while admitting areas of weakness, and addressing them, in a way, which makes the group, and your performance, stronger! When this is the mindset and approach, he becomes far more capable and ready, to perceive and conceive of, create, develop, and institute a well – considered, strengthening, sustainable system.
2. Time – tested; train; training: When organizations utilize professionally designed, time – tested, leadership training program, it becomes, far more possible, to develop and train, more potential, future leaders! The combination of these factors, helps to assure, there is a realization, empty rhetoric, promises, blaming and complaining, does create change for the better, but committing to being solutions – oriented, is the ultimate necessity, and focus!
3. Action plan; attitude; attention; articulate: We don’t need any more pseudo – leaders, who simply articulate an out – of – tune, same – old, same – old, irrelevant, meaningless message! Quality leaders must focus and pay keen attention, possess a sincere, positive, can – do, attitude. and create and implement the best, action plan, realizing, it is their duty and responsibility, to start, and follow – through!
4. Relevant; reliable; results: Start focusing on goals, priorities and concerns, in order to determine, the best path to take, in order to proceed, in a relevant way! When one takes the time (without procrastinating) to consider options, alternatives, and ramifications, and works his plan, he focuses towards the beginning of achieving worthwhile results!
5. Timely: This entire concept, comes back, to avoiding procrastinating, or putting off, ’til tomorrow, etc! Proceed, persistently, towards taking timely action, in a well – considered way!
Leaders may START at different places, because of, either, their personal background, or perceptions! While beginning is essential, doing so, in a directed way, achieves what’s needed and necessary!
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website: http://plan2lead.net and LIKE the Facebook page for leadership: http://facebook.com/Plan2lead
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Richard_Brody/492539